Mark H. Plager
Prior to founding Plager Shack LLP, Mr. Plager was the principal of Plager Law Offices, PC. Mr. Plager served as house counsel to a national metal-framing components manufacturing company.
As part of his duties Mr. Plager prepared and prosecuted patent and trademark applications, and actively participated in intellectual property and business litigation disputes.
In addition to preparing mechanical patents, Mr. Plager has experience with consumer products, ornamental designs, and chemical inventions. Mr. Plager provides advice and counsel on intellectual property and business matters to numerous corporate and individual clients including litigating matters on their behalf through trial verdict and appeal, if necessary.
Mr. Plager has extensive experience interfacing with insurance companies as former defense/panel counsel, and serving as independent Cumis defense counsel mutually agreed to by both the client and insurance provider.
Legal Areas of Emphasis
Trademark and Copyright Prosecution
Intellectual Property Business Counseling & Litigation
Intellectual Property Licensing
Intellectual Property Insurance Claims
Internet Domain Name Disputes
Admissions & Qualifications
- Admitted to practice in California, Colorado, District of Columbia, New Jersey, and New York.
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Professional Memberships & Affilations
- Orange County Inventors Forum, Vice President, Executive Board Member (2004 – present)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA) (1991- present)
- Orange County Patent Law Association (2005- present)
- Orange County Bar Association (1998 to present)
- Liberty Mutual/Golden Eagle Insurance Company
- Intellectual Property Insurance Services, Inc.
- Skechers USA, Inc.
- Global Metal Components Corporation
- Arthur Groom & Co., Inc.
- Metal-Lite, Inc.
- National Recreational Properties, Inc.
- Mexxishoes, Inc.
- Tiger Schulman Mixed Martial Arts
- TSK Equipment Co., Inc.
- Zero-Gravity Corporation
- TGA Sod LP d/b/a Turfgrass America
- International Technical Coatings Inc. v. McKinney, et al, (AZ Superior Court, 2013)(Patent License Dispute)
- Kirkendall v. Harris (C.D.Cal. 2013)(Copyright infringement)
- GoFit LLC v. GoFit LLC (D.NJ 2013)(Trademark infringement)
- Ron Mills & Co. v. Noatex Inc. (LASC 2013)(Breach of contract)
- KHS Musical Instrument Co. v. Ultimate Support Systems Inc. (C.D.Cal. 2011)(Patent Infringement)
- Chung v. L & R Fine Fashions, Inc., et al (C.D.Cal. 2011)(Trademark rights)
- GoFit LLC v. GoFit.com (E.D.VA 2011)(Domain name dispute)
- The Lopreiato Family Trust and Above All Forearm Forklift v. Echen, Inc. (C.D.Cal. 2011)(Patent and trademark infringement)
- Okihara Photography v. Bravert, Inc. (C.D.Cal. 2010)(Copyright infringement)
- Epic Interiors & Const., Inc. v. Hartigan (OCSC 2010)(Breach of Contract)
- Arminak-Associates, Inc. v. Gotham Ins. Co. (L.A.Super. 2009)(Intellectual property insurance)
- Gilham v. Lee (AAA, 2005)(Partnership dispute)
Publications & Presentations
Photography Contracts: More than pretty pictures, Professional Photographers of Orange County (Sept. 2008)
Annual Presenter to Orange County Inventors Forum, Patent Law Topics
“Are Your Contracts in Focus,” Professional Photographers of California, Annual Meeting 2001 (Presentation)
“Are Your Contracts in Focus,” Professional Photographers of Orange County, May 2000 (Presentation)
“Fiduciary Obligations Can Cost You Plenty” Design Firm Managment & Admin.Rpt. (April 2000)
“Intellectual Property Infringement Claims: Are you covered?” 4(1) The Law Works, 10 (Apr. 1996).
“$100,000 for a Photocopy, Part II: The Appeal” 2(1) The Law Works 14 (Jan. 1995).
“$100,000 for a Photocopy??? In-House Photocopying: Fair Use?” 1(10) The Law Works 8 (Oct. 1994)
Fairleigh Dickinson University, Teaneck, N.J. – Patent Law and Bio-Ethics (May 1992)
Quinnipiac University School of Law, Hamden CT.
Moot Court Honor Society
American Bar Association Client Counseling Team
Lafayette College, Easton, PA.
Bachelor of Science, Biology